This dish takes a little time to prepare, but it will feed a hungry crowd, including your pre-vegan friends.
2 cups water
1 cube vegetable bullion
1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
2 cups almond milk
10 corn tortillas
4 1/2 cups cooked black beans
2 medium onions, chopped
For the Enchilada Sauce:
1. Combine water and bullion to make broth.
2. In a medium sauce pan, combine the flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder.
3. Whisk in the broth until dissolved, and add the oil.
4. Bring the mixture to a low boil, stirring frequently.
5. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. The consistency should be like gravy: not too thick, and not too thin. (If it’s too thick, it will turn to gel when baked.)
For the Queso Sauce:
1. In medium-large saucepan, combine flour, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic, and mustard.
2. Add almond milk and mix thoroughly.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring almost constantly, until bubbling and thick.
For the Filling:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, or 325 degrees for a convection oven.
2. In a large bowl, mash beans to desired consistency.
3. Add onions and 1/2 of the queso sauce to the beans and mix.
1. Pour 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ pan.
2. Place a tortilla in the pan and to cover the bottom in enchilada sauce.
3. Spoon in 1/3 cup of filling.
4. Roll and push to one end of pan.
5. Continue until all tortillas are filled, adding enchilada sauce to the pan as needed.
6. Pour the remainder of the enchilada sauce on top and then spread reserved queso sauce on as last step.
7. Bake until brown, 30-45 minutes.
Serving size: 1 enchilada.
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount Per Serving (% Daily Value)
Calories From Fat 21.29 (9%)
Total Fat 2.6g (4%)
Saturated Fat 0.4g (2%)
Cholesterol 0.05mg (<1%)
Sodium 480.5mg (20%)
Potassium 543mg (16%)
Total Carbohydrates 42.8g (14%)
Fiber 11g (44%)
Protein 13g (26%)